These stories should capture various types of interventions, such as glasses or surgery.
Please note: By submitting this story to Seva, the partner acknowledges that the patient has given permission for their story and photograph to be used by Seva.
1. PARTNER INFORMATION
Name of person who collected this story: Md. Mizanur Rahman
Title of person who collected this story: Sr. Organizer
City/village: Niamotpur, Jummapara, Saidpur, Nilphamari.
2. PATIENT INFORMATION
Patient’s First Name: Most. Najma Begum
Date of service: 11.03.2021
Type of service: Sics Pc IOL.
Education level (if any): Signature only.
Occupation (current or former): House wife
Marital status: Married.
Family: Two son & one daughter in my family.
Location of service offered (e.g. community outreach camp, school screening, clinic, hospital): Kajirhat govt. primary school, Saidpur, Nilphamari.
How far was the patient from the clinic or hospital: (KM or # hours): 05 K.M.
Relationship of caretaker (if any): N/A
3. PATIENT’S STORY
Please answer these questions about the patient using direct quotes if possible.
- How long have you had vision problems?
Ans : Vision problem about three years ago.
- How did the vision problem affect your life (income and ability to work/go to school, social life, and family life)?
Ans : Due to my long standing eye problems, it was very difficult for me to move around in my family and society and I could not do anything myself. As a result, I had to go to people’s homes and lose my job. I became very helpless. Everyone left me and stayed away.
- Did you have a caretaker? How did they assist you?
I had no assistant. But my son’s wife helped me.
- How did you find out about the clinic?
Suddenly one day I heard through Miking that there would be an eye camp in Kajirhat government primary school. I informed my son about eye camp and next day he took me to the place. Doctor examined and diagnosed cataract problem in the eye. I informed doctor that please cooperate me I don’t have enough money to do operation.
- “How will your life change, now that you can see?
After the operation at Marium Eye Hospital Camp, she arranged a free cataract operation for me. It was a big support for me and my family. After that, I can do my household works myself. Now I don’t depend on anybody, I can do my own thing.
- How will this affect your family, caretaker, or community?
All are happy because they were worried about me and it was burden for them.
- What are you most excited to see?
I am happy to see my family members.
When possible, patients should be interviewed again, some time after they have gone home with their sight restored. Please ask these questions:
- How is your life different now that you can see?
After the operation at Marium Eye Hospital Camp, they arranged a free cataract surgery for my eye. After that, I can do my work myself. I don’t have to depend on anyone.
- What can you do now that you could not do before the treatment?
Before operation the life was almost hell for me. But after operation I can do all my work myself also I can help my family in household work.
- Have you gone back to school or to work? How is it different?
- If you had a caretaker, how has their life changed, now that you can see?
My son’s wife supposed to take care of me before operation. Now she is relaxed about me, rather now I can help her in household work.
- What are you most grateful for now that your sight has improved?
I am very happy & grateful to Marium eye Hospital and Seva Foundation to arrange such an excellent project which is totally free but high in quality.
- What does sight mean to you?
Its great blessing from almighty Allah. After the operation I realize the value of it.
- Close up of the patient before/after
- Patient being tested/screened
- Patient with family before/after
- Patient interacting with staff/family at the hospital/clinic
- Patient engaging in activities s/he was not able to before intervention